Mmmmm… Coconut bacon. If you are wondering what on earth it is, its smoky, salty flakes of crispy coconut which really do taste like bacon. I know what you’re thinking, how can you achieve the taste and texture of bacon using flaked coconut? EASILY! With the right ingredients! It’s a mix of a few random ingredients, which when combined taste amazing and even BETTER than the real thing. Smoked paprika, salt, tamari, maple syrup and liquid smoke. I don’t like the meatiness, oiliness and fattiness of regular bacon, in fact it’s pretty revolting. Coconut bacon takes away all of that grim stuff so you’re just left with smoky, salty crispy flakes. Ahhh, so much better and surprisingly addictive too! Its so quick to make, using just 6 ingredients, 1 bowl and one pan. Great for snacking but also amazing on avocado toast, in sandwiches and salads. See below for more awesome ways to use it. It’s a game-changer and the best vegan meat-free bacon you will make!
This recipe calls for liquid smoke, which is exactly what it says on the tin (or bottle), smoke flavour in liquid form. You can get it in most big supermarkets or health food shops. It really does help create a bacon-y flavour (I’ve tried it without, and it wasn’t as good), so I would recommend getting some as you’ll most likely use it in other recipes too. Another bonus is the incredible smoky maple aroma wafting through your house! Sssmokin’!!!
Vegan and Gluten-free
100g Coconut Flakes
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Tamari/soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- Preheat the oven to 170 C fan.
- Mix all the ingredients together so the coconut flakes are fully coated.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and spread the coconut flakes over in a single layer.
- Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring every so often so they crisp up evenly and don’t burn.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool completely. They will crisp up as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container or glass jar in the cupboard and consume within a few weeks or eat straight away for maximum crispiness!
Delicious ways to use coconut bacon
- Vegan BLT’s, sandwiches and wraps
- Sprinkle over soups, salads, tabbouleh
- Amazing on avocado toast
- Stir through pasta and bolognese sauces
- On top of pizza and nachos
- Add a crunch to roasted veggies
- Even sweet things like doughnuts, cupcakes and pancakes drizzled with maple syrup (yum, now I’m making myself hungry!!)
Lush on everything!
- This takes avocado toast to THE NEXT LEVEL! See my recipe here!
- Makes a great addition to my Creamy Marinated Kale, Tortilla Pizza and Veggie Nachos
If you’re making this recipe I’d love to know! Tag me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #elliesrecipes. Share with your friends and family and like and comment below. Thanks so much!