This is perfect for those mornings when I’ve forgotten to make overnight oats the night before and want a change from granola. This is such a speedy breakfast too and literally takes two minutes to make. It’s simply a mixture of oats, seeds, flaked almonds and raisins. A few basic ingredients, no added sugar or thickeners and so much goodness, making it a great start to your morning. Because the oats are milled slightly, as soon as you add milk it instantly thickens to a creamy consistency. Then you can add any fresh fruit, yogurt or nut butter your heart desires and you’ve got yourself a yummy breakfast which will make you feel glorious. My favourite fruity additions are: grated apple, cinnamon and peanut butter. Banana slices, blueberries and roasted almonds. Stewed frozen berries, coconut yogurt and almond butter. See pics below for my favourite ways to have it! Make a big batch (you can double up this recipe) so you’ve always got some made up. It is lush with oat or coconut milk and super creamy with coconut yogurt stirred in.
Makes 1 small jar
2 tsp chia seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp flaked almonds
40g raisins or sultanas
1 tbsp cacao nibs, optional
- Put the oats into a blender or food processor and pulse until partially milled, you don’t want them to be completely ground. A few pulses should do it.
- Pour into a bowl with the seeds, almonds, dried fruit and cacao nibs, if using, and mix together.
- Store in an airtight container or jar in the cupboard.
- To eat, simply add any milk or juice and leave to sit for about 2 minutes until thick and creamy before adding all your favourite toppings!
- Adding ground flaxseed makes it super thick and gives you a wonderful nutritional boost!
- To make the stewed berries, add frozen mixed berries to a saucepan and heat until soft and thick, like a runny jam consistency, that’s it!